British Library Press Releases RSS feed

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sigma Chi Founding

Sigma Chi (ΣΧ) is one of the largest and oldest college Greek-letter secret and social fraternities. Sigma Chi was founded on June 28, 1855 at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio when members split from Delta Kappa Epsilon. Sigma Chi has seven founding members: Benjamin Piatt Runkle, Thomas Cowan Bell, William Lewis Lockwood, Isaac M. Jordan, Daniel William Cooper, Franklin Howard Scobey, and James Parks Caldwell. Sigma Chi is a part of the Miami Triad, along with Beta Theta Pi and Phi Delta Theta.The fraternity's official colors are blue and old gold, and its badge is a white cross with emblems on each of its arms: crossed keys on the upper arm, an eagle's head on the right arm, seven gold stars and a pair of clasped hands on the lower arm, and a scroll on the left arm. In the center of the cross, on a black background, are the gold symbols for the Greek letters Sigma (Σ) and Chi (Χ). The left and right arms are connected to the upper arm by gold chains.Sigma Chi's purpose is to promote the concepts of Friendship, Justice, and Learning; its mission statement is to develop values-based leaders committed to the betterment of character, campus and community. Sigma Chi's vision statement is "to become the preeminent collegiate leadership development organization—aligned, focused and living our core values".On June 13, 2005, Sigma Chi was the first Greek-letter society to be honored by the United States Congress for the fraternity's 150th anniversary.

Mississippi Goveners Mansion

First occupied in 1842, the Mississippi Governor's Mansion is the second oldest continuously occupied governor's residence in the United States. In 1975, it was designated a National Historic Landmark, making it at that time one of only two state gubernatorial residences to receive this honor. In January 1833, the Mississippi legislature appropriated funds to build a capitol building and a "suitable house for the Governor." Delayed by a serious depression caused by the Panic of 1837, construction of the Governor's Mansion was not begun until 1839, the same year that the Capitol building was completed. In January 1842, Governor Tilghman Tucker and his family moved into the Mansion, which had been constructed for a cost of approximately $50,000.00. Both the Capitol building (Old Capitol) and the Governor's Mansion were designed by architect William Nichols (1780-1853), a native of Bath, England. William Nichols designed the Mansion in the period's most popular architectural style: Greek Revival. Architectural historians consider the Mississippi Governor's Mansion to be one of the finest surviving examples of the Greek Revival style in the United States.

Vicksburg Civil War Mississippi

In May and June of 1863, Major Grants armies converged on Vicksburg, investing the city and entrapping a Confederate army under Lieutenant General John Pemberton.
On July 4 Vicksburg surrendered after prolonged siege operations. This was the culmination of one of the most brilliant military campaigns of the war.
With the loss of Pemberton's army and this vital stronghold on the Mississippi, the Confederacy was effectively split in half.
Grant's successes in the West boosted his reputation, leading ultimately to his appointment as General-in-Chief of the Union armies. Dates of the war were from May 18th- July 4th 1863 also the result of the war was a Union victory.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Political Activism & Politicians

Mississippi Senator Theodore Bilbo was a well-known segregationist. During his time in the Senate, as well as the other elected positions he held in Mississippi, Bilbo frequently talked of his support of segregation. In 1939, he proposed the Greater Liberia Act to repatriate African Americans to Liberia. Due to this proposed legislation, Bilbo's stance on race relations became well-known around the country. He was elected to three terms to the U.S. Senate many senators voted to have his seat rejected. Many of his sopporters sent letters of anger to the U.S. legislation.

I'll Wait for the movie

I'll wait for the movie: Media Tie-in Books in Special Collections at USM features books, board games, and manuscripts that are the basis of or based on popular television programs, movies, and plays. Tie-ins were first produced in the 1930s. They were created to showcase popular actors like Shirley Temple or movies like The Wizard of Oz.

Robertson Museum Jackson Mississippi

The Robertson Museum and Cultural Center of Jackson is less than a mile away from the states capital. The museum housed in the former Smith Robertson School, this actual school was the first built for African Americans in Jackson. The school opened in 1894 and served African American students until 1971. The original structure was two-story and made of wood until it burned in 1909. Soon after a brick structure was built by an African American contractor the same year. In 1929, the prominent architectural firm Hull and Mulvaney enlarged the building and enhanced it with its Art Deco facade. The school was named for Mr. Smith Robertson, who was born a slave in Fayette, Alabama, in 1847. After the Civil War, he migrated to Jackson where he operated a successful barbering business. He was also in local politics and became the first African-American Alderman in the City of Jackson. One of the most notorious graduates was Richard Wright a writer who graduated in 1925 from the school. The school was closed in 1971 due to integration. Concerned citizens within the community wanted to stop the building from being torn down. Dr. Jessie Mosley and Dr. Alferdteen Harrison organized a petition to save the school. The museum opened in 1984. Dr. Jessie Mosley was the museum's first director and was eventually named "Director Emeritus."